Peru striker Raul Ruidiaz has been named the MLS Player of the Week for the 14th round of matches after his contribution in the colours of Seattle Sounders to the win over Austin FC at Q2 Stadium.

The Peru international started the MLS clash with Austin FC on the bench due to a number of reasons ranging from fixture congestion to a depleted roster. Seattle Sounders boss Brian Schmetzer went with a youthful line-up but he had to call on the experience of Peru striker Ruidiaz off the bench to win the game. His goal gave Seattle Sounders a 1-0 away victory over Austin FC.

Schmetzer introduced Peruvian forward Ruidiaz into the game when neither team had broken the deadlock. Ruidiaz was subbed on with nine minutes gone in the second half and it took him just thirteen minutes to make an impact as he scored a contender for MLS Goal of the Year to win the game for his team.

Ruidiaz controlled the ball which deflected off an Austin FC defender before unleashing an unstoppable first-time shot from 40 yards out which Austin goalkeeper Brad Stuver had no chance of saving. It was a strike worthy of winning any game of football.

Peru international Ruidiaz exploited the fact that Stuver had come off his line to produce a world class moment thereby taking his tally to 11 goals this season in the race for the Golden Boot.

The recipient for the MLS Player of the Week is announced in each week of the regular season through fan and media voting which is conducted by MLS Communications. NASR (North America Soccer Reporters) journalists account for 75% of the votes, while the fans have the remaining 25% and this is usually done through Twitter vote. The fans don’t have much power to influence voting like the media personnels.